What’s the best WordPress spam plugin?
Created by Automattic, the same crew that created WordPress, and the amazing Jetpack suite, this one plugin will eliminate comment spam from your WordPress site forever.
That’s a big claim I know but stick with me and we’ll have this sorted out in a jiffy.
I’m ashamed to admit that it took me a few years to even try the Akismet anti-spam plugin. For some reason I thought all spam plugins were the same and had varying degrees of horrible in their effectiveness. Wrong.
How to eliminate comment spam in WordPress using Akismet
This plugin is installed by default on every WordPress site. After activation, the plugin will prompt you to add in your Akismet API key.
1. Sign up for an Akismet key. If you already have a free WordPress.com account you can use the same details to log in to the Akismet site.
In the sign-up process you will be presented with three options. Click Sign Up on the Personal plan.
2. If you’re a blogger just getting started you’ll want to choose the free option by moving the slider to $0.
You can make a donation by the way. It goes directly to the people who created WordPress and helps support open source development.
3. Enter your name and email address and click Continue.
4. You will receive an email in a few moments with your API key.
5. From your WordPress dashboard, go to Plugins >> Akismet Configuration, enter the key you just received into the box and press the Update options button. If you’ve got the Jetpack plugin activated this menu will be in Jetpack >> Akismet Configuration instead.
Tick the auto delete spam option as well. From now on all your comments will be automatically passed through the Akismet spam checking system.
No more spam comments distracting you from a real conversation on your WordPress site.
Akismet Stats and Results
To see your stats visit Jetpack >> Akismet Stats and marvel at just how effective this plugin is.
Any issues with this process or questions about spam and comments? Let us know in the comments! 🙂