With a few clicks, your whole WordPress site can look totally different.
The raw text and images remain unchanged, but thanks to a combination of page templates and style sheets your site gets a whole new look.
Best of all, there are plenty of free ones right inside your WordPress dashboard that you can try out right now!
You can also upload a theme from your computer that you’ve downloaded. (This requires a self-hosted WordPress site)
How to add a new theme to your self-hosted WordPress website
1. Login to your WordPress site.
2. Go to Appearance >> Themes and then click on the Install Themes tab.
3. To preview some new themes click on Upload, Featured, Newest, Recently Updated, use the Search field.
Or, you can select some of the features you’re after by using the Feature Filter and clicking the Find Themes button.
To upload a theme that you have previously downloaded, click on the Upload button and then browse your computer for the theme’s zip file.
Click the Install Now button.
Go to step 5.
You will see a list of results with screenshots of the themes that you can either preview or install.
4. Clicking on the Preview link will allow you to see what your current site will look like with the new theme applied. You’re free to click around and sample the rest of the site.
To try the theme out, click on the Install Now button.
NOTE: None of this is public. This is just a preview.
5. WordPress will install the theme and give you the option to have a Live Preview, Activate the theme or return to the installer.
The Live Preview option allows us to make changes such as title and tagline, background image and other theme specific options.
NOTE: Any theme we’ve installed will show up in the Manage Themes section from then on.
6. Click Activate to use the new theme with your WordPress site.
Your new WordPress theme is now public.
How to install new themes on WordPress.com
Installing and previewing themes on the free WordPress.com system works in the same way except that you can’t upload themes. You are limited to what is in the official WordPress themes repository.
You can however try out some paid themes by going to Store >> Premium Themes.
That’s how easy it is to try out a new look and feel for your site. Please let us know if you have any questions and feel free to post your new themed site for the tribe to see!