This will show you how to add images, links and even video into your widget areas to add rich content to your sidebar or footer.
There are many widgets in the default installation of WordPress. They usually go in the sidebar or the footer depending on your theme.
You can move them around, and experiment with the amount of attention they give to certain things on your website to test their effectiveness.
How to add links & html to your sidebar widgets in WordPress
1. Login to your WordPress site and go to Posts >> Add New.
2. Enter the name for the widget as the Title.
We’re not going to publish anything. We’re using the visual editor to compose the content we want and then transfer it to our sidebar widget later. You may want to read how to post to WordPress first.
Keep in mind that the widget area you are going to be using is probably a set width, and images that are larger than that will not work. You need to stay within that maximum width for everything to look right. Most sidebars are around 300 pixels wide.
3. Once you are happy with the way things look click the Save Draft button.
4. Switch to the Text tab in the WordPress editor.
5. Select all the code inside this window and copy it to your pasteboard.
6. Navigate to Appearance >> Widgets.
7. Drag a Text widget into one of your available areas.
8. Paste the code into this text area. You can also give it a Title.
Clicking the box will turn those spaces between the text into paragraphs.
9. Click the Save button and and see the changes you’ve made.
Adding Video to a Sidebar Widget
1. Navigate to the page on YouTube with the video you want to use.
2.Click the Share link and choose the Embed option.
3. Enter your maximum width into the Custom field.
4. Copy the code that YouTube gives you.
5. In WordPress navigate to Appearance >> Widgets and drag a Text widget into a widget area.
6. Paste that code into the text area and click the Save button.
NOTE: This works just as well for other video sites as well as HTML buttons and ads.
Did you have any issues making this work? Or did it go fantastically but you just want to tell someone?
Let us know in the comments. 🙂