Here we show you how to quickly and easily add WordPress plugins, essentially new features, to your self-hosted WordPress website.
This became wonderfully easy from WordPress 2.7 and onwards so if you do not see the functionality shown here, ask your webmaster to upgrade!
How to add WordPress plugins:
1. Login to your self-hosted WordPress website.
2. Click on the Plugins link on the left sidebar and Select Add New.
3. From the Install Plugins page, you can browse all the plugins within the WordPress.org directory using either Keywords, Plugin Authors, or Tags.
In addition you can Upload a zip file or, show only Featured, Popular, Newest or Recently Updated plugins.
4. Enter the exact name of the plugin into the Term dropdown field.
In this case “Ozh’ Admin Drop Down Menu”.
5. Press the Search Plugins button.
6. The plugin we’re after should be at the top of the list of results.
7. Click the Install Now link.
8. WordPress will ask if you want to Activate the plugin. Click OK.
Now your administration menus will look like this:
You can keep using it if you prefer (I do) or turn the plugin off at the main plugins page.
Most often WordPress plugin options show up in the Settings tab, but it can vary. It may create a tab of it’s own if it’s enough of a celebrity.
We’re done and ready to customize the features of our new plugin.