Here you’ll learn how to post to WordPress. Let’s rock and roll.
Login to your WordPress site.
Click the + New >> Post from the top row of menus.
or from the Posts >> Add New from the left menu.
- Write a title
- Choose a category
- Write or paste in the body copy
- Add any links and format for readability
- Upload and add images, video and media
- Using the insights plugin to add YouTube videos and links.
- Preview and publish
1. Create a Title
The title is very important and is the primary way that visitors scan and choose the content they want to read. Make sure it describes clearly what your article is about or evokes some curiosity.
It can also be useful to use some keywords relevant to your topic as long as it also reads properly.
2. Choose a Category
To choose a category for your site you can tick a current one in the list. Or click + Add New Category to create a new one for your post.
Categories are very often listed on the public side of your site and help visitors to narrow in on what they are interested in.
NOTE: Static pages on your site have no category and live outside the blog structure, however the editing process is the same.
3. Write or Paste in Body Copy
NOTE: The kitchen sink button opens a second row of buttons.
If you already have something written in a text or Word doc you can use these 2 buttons to import them.
Warning: If you copy and paste into the edit page directly from a word document or PDF it will bring with it a lot of ugly code and your page will look wrong.
Otherwise you can write and edit your post within the main content window now. If you’ve used Microsoft Word the buttons you see here will be familiar.
Some important points in this process:
- To apply formatting you must first highlight the text or image THEN click the relevant button.
- Before you upload an image or any media, first place the cursor where you want it to appear in your document.
- Remember you can undo if you make a mistake!
- WordPress will be saving drafts automatically but be careful not to click the back button on your browser.
4. Add links and format for readability
To create a link, highlight the text or image first. Click the Link button.
The Link/Edit Dialogue will open.
Copy and Paste in the Url for the link into the field and press Insert.
The paragraph button puts more dramatic text formatting into your article. The results are subject to how your theme displays it. H1 for example will be huge and unusable in most cases. Try H2 and H3 as a start.
Click the down arrow on the color button to select a color for your text.
Very handy for bigger pages where more space is required to work on your post.
5. Uploading/Inserting Images and Media
NOTE: All Images should be optimized for web display BEFORE you upload them here. Read more about preparing images.
This button allows you to upload files and access all your previous media. You can upload PDFs, MP3 files, JPGs and many other image and media formats.
Clicking the Add Media button will open this window.
You can drag and drop the images you want to upload directly into this window. Clicking the Media Library link will also allow you to insert images you have already uploaded.
Click the Select Files button to select media via the traditional dialogue box.
The Elements in the Media dialogue are:
1. Title – Gives the image a title in your media browser and makes it search engine friendly.
2. Caption – Inserts a caption under the image.
3. Description – The text that shows up when you hover over an element.
4. Link URL – Determines if the element is also a link. You can click the buttons or paste in your own.
5. Alignment – If you choose either right or Left the accompanying text will flow around the
6. Size – When you upload an image it creates 3 different versions. The full size, a medium size and
a square thumbnail. This tells WordPress which one to display on your page.
Click the Insert into Post button.
To edit an image you’ve already placed into the WordPress edit window, hover over it and you’ll see an edit and a delete button.
Adding a YouTube video
Since WordPress 2.7 you can simply paste the full URL or link to the YouTube video and WP will render the full video to your page.
Adding an MP3 music file to your page
- Click the Add Media button and drag and drop in your file or navigate to your computer and select the file.
- Once it has uploaded give the file a Title as this will end up as the name of the link, and make sure that in the Link URL section you press the File URL button.
Making a PDF downloadable on your page
Same as the MP3 and all other media files.
6. The Insights Plugin
Now that you know how to post to WordPress you should be excited about publishing, but if there’s anything you’re confused by, please let us know in the comments. 🙂