This excellent plugin allows you to optimize images in WordPress that you’ve already uploaded, as well as ones that you add later.
This helps to speed up your site by reducing the file size of your images without sacrificing quality.
It is better to prepare your images before uploading them for two reasons:
- You won’t need to use this plugin
- You can name the files, making it easier to use good SEO practices, as well as being able to search and find images in your media library.
However this plugin is great for beginners and for when images in your media library are slowing down your website.
Optimizing images in WordPress with WP Smush.it
1. Install the WP Smush.it plugin.
Navigate to Plugins >> Add New and enter ‘WP Smush.it’ into the search field. Install and activate the plugin.
2. Process the images that need optimizing.
You can process all the images on your media library by navigating to Media >> Bulk Smush.it and clicking the button:
You can process specific images by navigating to Media >> Library and clicking the Smush.it Now! link.
3. Add processing on upload if required.
You can also use the Smush.it processing on all images that you upload by visiting Settings >> Media and selecting Automatically process on upload from the drop-down.
From now on whenever you add images to your media library Smush.it will make sure they’re optimized for speed and quality.
Questions? Let us know in the comments. 🙂