If you want to improve your click through rate, email opens and sales conversions there’s one thing you can do to improve those metrics right now.
Improve your headlines
On the average, five times as many people read the headline as read the body copy. When you have written your headline, you have spent eighty cents out of your dollar. ~ David Ogilvy
Professional copywriters such as John Carlton say that they spend 50% or more of their time on the headline.
It is the single most important aspect of your article, email or sales page.
Because it’s what determines if the rest of your content even gets read or watched!
The sole purpose of the headline is to get your prospect to read the first sentence of the copy. ~ Joseph Sugarman
So here I present to you:
5 resources to help you create killer headlines
These tools and links will help you generate some awesome headlines to increase clicks, shares and comments.
1. John Carlton – The Perfect Headline
Who better to start with but the king of copywriting doing a class on headlines. You should also check out his blog too.
2. Headline Hacks – Jon Morrow
One of the quickest ways to get started with headlines is to have some templates that you can adjust to suite your content. Jon Morrow offers a wonderful giveaway with the 52 Headline Hacks PDF.
3. Blog Post Headline Analyzer
The CoSchedule Headline Analyzer is a good way to get a quick sense of how emotive and effective your blog headline will be. Keep in mind it’s an algorithm doing the work here but good as a general guide.
4. SubjectLine.com – a free tool to help improve your subject lines
SubjectLine.com is another software driven tool, this time for email subject lines but it compares your headline to a database of effective headlines to determine a score. Includes a lot of other useful tips and guides.
5. WordPress SEO Tool – WP Keyword Suggest
If you can incorporate keyword analysis into your headlines and still make them compelling all the better. This excellent keyword analysis WordPress plugin works within your post editor, giving you suggestions for keyword phrases.
Some other articles
- 10 Sure Fire Headline formulas that work
- How to Write a Great Subject Line – MailPoet
- HEADLINE WRITING 101: HOW TO WRITE ATTENTION GRABBING HEADLINES THAT CONVERT
- How to Write Catchy Headlines and Blog Titles Your Readers Can’t Resist
One last thought…
Try writing your headlines first. It will have 2 awesome follow-on effects:
- You will find it much easier to create the content
- You will get more shares for that content
Go forth with your new headlines and be bold my friends!