This page is designed to be a resource to your WordPress and marketing success. You will find only what I deem to be the very best links, tools and resources here.
Here you will find all of the free packages and resources for download.
WordPress Child Themes
Here we’re going to start a collection of child themes for some of the official WordPress ones.
Child themes require that the original be installed first. Then upload your child theme and activate it.
Twenty Twelve Child Theme (.zip file)
First install the main Twenty Twelve theme from the official themes area in Appearance >> Themes, then use the upload link and activate this child theme file.
This child theme has automatic blog summaries with a featured thumbnail as well.
Tools and Resources
Analytics and Conversion
- Google Analytics – This is a no-brainer and if you don’t have this setup, do it now. Gives you very detailed information about the visits on your website. How to setup GA in WordPress.
- ABTests.com – See examples of sites with variations in design and the effect on conversion. Very insightful.
- KISSMetrics Blog – An excellent blog with a focus on how to track your website and increase conversions.
- Photopin.com – Wonderful place to get royalty free images for your articles.
- PicMonkey – A wonderfully fun and free way to make excellent image mashups and image quotes.
- DaButtonFactory – Create nice looking buttons fast.
Design and Useability on the Web
- Web usability column on Jacob Neilsen – A collection of some of the most useful research done into web design and useability available. These results will shatter some ideas but more importantly if applied you will absolutely see increased readability and conversions.
Domains and Webhosting
- Domize – Instant search to find what domains are available.
- HostGator – One of the best hosting companies out there for bloggers and business people that need fast reliable hosting for WordPress.
- Google Keyword Tool – Puts all the most useful Google keyword and research tools in one place. Excellent!
- YouTube Keyword Research Tool – YouTube is the second biggest search engine in the world. So why are you not on YouTube yet?
- Ahrefs.com – Excellent all round tools providing real-time data for Internet Marketing and SEO. Backlink tracing and much more.
Market Research and Demographics
- Google Alerts – Allows you to track certain keywords relevant to your site and find out what others are doing.
- Google Insights for Search – Use search to find and discover more about the kinds of people you want to connect with.
- Quantcast – Helps you understand your audience more. Enter a popular site in your area and read the reports.
Premium WordPress Themes
- WooThemes – Design some of the best themes and plugins for WordPress. And they also do WooCommerce.
- StudioPress – A framework for WordPress that is very professional and caters to more marketing and business themes.
Search Engine Optimization
- Google Webmaster Tools – Submit sitemaps, check inbound links and more.
- WordPress SEO Tutorial • Yoast – The definitive guide for the on page element of SEO, specifically for WordPress.
Security and Validation Tools
- Markup Validation Service – Check the integrity of your webpage.
- Feed Validation Service – Make sure your RSS feed is working properly.
- Sucuri’s Free Website Malware Scanner – Check your website for malware and spam.
Social Media Tools
- Buffer – If you’re spending way too much time posting to your social networks, you have to be using this application! Supports Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter. Google+ Soon!
Technology and Social Media Infographics
- Kissmetrics Infographics – All their most informative web statistics imagery.
- Social Media and Internet Infographics – On Pinterest
Website Speed and Optimization Tools
- PageSpeed Insights Google Developers – This tool analyzes the content of your website and makes suggestions to increase load time and therefore conversions.
- Pingdom.com – Check the performance of your site. Website load time can be tested here.
- Webpagetest.org – Test your website’s performance from servers around the world.