Want to tap into the biggest social network on the planet?
If you’ve got a clean new blog, hot off the press and you’re itching to tap into some of the nearly 1 billion users, then follow these simple steps to create a Facebook presence.
But first the bad news…
Since the old Zuckerberg times went public, they’ve reduced the degree that pages show up on news feeds, while simultaneously introducing a sponsored post option.
What a coincidence!
Essentially they’re making you pay to be seen on the news feed, which is how most people experience Facebook.
This is why you don’t need to spend too much time jazzing up your page. Most people will only see it once, if that.
Sure you need to have some content up before you start sharing it around but from then on you should focus on posting cool stuff that will engage with your fans.
Ok now the good news
It’s still a great platform and will undoubtedly bring in traffic to your blog.
How to setup a Facebook fan page
1. Create a Facebook account and/or make sure you’re logged in.
2. Create a new Facebook page. (new window)
You will be presented with an unreasonable amount of options.
Click on the Brand or Product boxy thing.
From the Category drop down, choose Website.
3. Create a name for your page and click Get Started.
This cannot be changed without a some grovelling to Facebook so choose carefully and check your spelling.
4. Add a profile image.
The image should be 180 x 180 pixels for best quality.
5. Complete your about description and add your website URL.
Make sure to appeal directly to your target audience with language that they will respond to.
6. Give your new Facebook page a URL.
Again this can’t be changed without a fuss, so check the spelling and make sure you’re happy with it.
After you’ve clicked Set Address, Facebook will give you the chance to invite all your friends to the page.
Like a lot of things Facebook this doesn’t make a lot of sense as there’s nothing to show off yet. That’s next…
7. Add extra page info by scrolling to the top and clicking Edit Page >> Update Info.
8. Add a cover image.
This is a background image for the profile pic. The ideal dimensions are 851 x 315 pixels but you can upload pretty much anything and it will allow you to reposition it anyway. As I said most people only see this page once anyway.
9. Like your own page.
If you don’t like your own page how can anyone else?
10. Post some fascinating stuff to your new page so that when people arrive they exclaim, “my god this is incredible I wish I could see this page I’ve liked in my news feed!”
We’ll cover how to be fascinating on Facebook in another article but for the moment we need to…
11. Invite our ‘friends’ and share our page on our personal stream.
Scroll to the top of your page and click on Build Audience >> Invite Friends and then later, Share Page…
12. Note your Facebook page URL so you can place a link on your blog or in emails.
Now you might want to create a Facebook Like box to put in your sidebar.
Rejoice my friend. You’re on the biggest social network in the universe!
Feel free to post your new Facebook page URL in the comments so we can check it out.