We all have limited time. For most of us, technology is a means to an end not an end in itself.
Only the geeky types that have their heads down into the tech and circuitry of it all want to know every nuance of every feature that is possible.
Don’t get me wrong. We need those people. There would be no Steve Wozniak otherwise! (Don’t know who the Woz is? Only the dude that helped get Apple going.)
So here it is.
Why comparison articles are a total waste of your time
- We don’t need to know what all our choices are – in the internet age we’re suffering from an overdose of choice
- These articles are by people that have merely done a google search – in many cases, they haven’t even tested them all!
- In reality, we’re all more time and attention poor than money poor
- After reading one of these posts, we’re often more confused than before
Examples of what to avoid:
- 7 Best Free Drag and Drop WordPress plugins compared
- 10 Best Plugins for Email Newsletters
- 10 Best Comparison Table Plugins for WordPress
- 9 Best WordPress Plugins to Create Comparison and Pricing Tables (ironic enough for you?)
What you can do to be different
- Establish trust with your readership
- Make recommendations based on that trust
- Share the reasoning behind your decision but spare your inner circle the background noise
- Move on to more interesting, productive activities
- Use as few words or information as you can to get your point across
- Once you’ve made your point, end!
So now you have an idea of what to avoid and how you can offer your audience a more paired down experience that builds trust.
Don’t give people ‘more’. Help them get to where they want to be in their lives instead.
Over and out…